Prospective and Admitted Transfer Students

This is an accordion element with a series of buttons that open and close related content panels.

What is Economics at UW-Madison?

Calculus and theory are intertwined into all core-Econ courses. Two options are available for the major: Economics or Economics with a Mathematical Emphasis.

The Economics option is a well-rounded program of study that, while requiring analytical skills and math proficiency, focuses on examination of policy and economics concepts rather than on quantitative analysis or modeling.

The Economics with Mathematical Emphasis option supplements the economics major with additional requirements in mathematical and statistical coursework. This option is recommended for students considering graduate studies in economics or pursuing a career as a professional economist or in an analytics-based field.

Majoring in Economics as a Transfer Student

To declare the major in economics at UW-Madison, you must complete any two (2) Econ courses at UW-Madison, complete calculus (transferring this in is okay!), and have a cumulative GPA in these classes of at least a 2.0. Once you have fulfilled these requirements, you can declare the major! Click here for more information on the declaration process.

How do I make the most of my first semester at UW-Madison?

  • Meet with an advisor right away in Economics! Together we can discuss campus resources, study skills, class workloads, and transiting to UW.
  • Reach out proactively to your Professors and TA’s. Even if you don’t have a specific question, creating a relationship with these folks can help set you up for success. You can talk to an advisor about how to make this happen smoothly and purposefully.
  • Connect with other campus resources such as the Transfer Transition Program –

What resources are available for me in Economics?

  • Your advisors, your professors, and your TAs! We are your first go-to people whom you should make a habit of meeting with regularly, about twice a semester.
  • For additional academic resources, include tutoring resources specific to Econ, click here.
  • Equally valuable are Economics student organization involvement and being paired with a peer mentor (and older student in Economics) through the Lead@Econ program!
  • The Economics Career Development Office (ECDO) provides career development services and resources to undergraduate and Masters-level students who are pursuing a degree in economics

Advising for Transfer Students

You will have an opportunity to talk with an economics academic advisor about incoming credits and course selection when you attend your SOAR (Student Orientation Advising & Registration) session the summer or winter before your first semester here. We encourage you to touch base with an economics advisor early in your first semester. Once you declare the major, you will be assigned to the economics major advisors.

How will my AP, IB, or CLEP credits transfer to UW-Madison?

All high school AP and IB credits should be submitted to the Office of Admissions and Recruitment. The University of Wisconsin–Madison grants credit for the successful completion of college-level course work while in high school and for high achievement on Advanced Placement (AP), GCE Advanced Level (A-Level), Cambridge Pre-U, International Baccalaureate (IB), and College-Level Examination Program (CLEP) exams.

Click here for more information on credit by exam.

Advanced Placement (AP) Coursework

To earn AP credit, students must have their official AP grade report sent directly to the Office of Admissions and Recruitment from the College Board. If you received a “4” or a “5” score on the AP Microeconomics test, you will be awarded college credit for our Economics 101, Principles of Microeconomics. If you received a “4” or a “5” score on the AP Macroeconomics test, you will be awarded college credit for our Economics 102, Principles of Macroeconomics.

International Baccalaureate (IB) Coursework

To earn IB credit, transcripts must be sent directly to the Office of Admissions and Recruitment from the International Baccalaureate Organization.
If you earned a score of at least “4” on the International Baccalaureate Higher Level (HL) economics exam, you will earn eight (8) credits for our introductory economics courses: four (4) credits each for Economics 101, Principles of Microeconomics and Economics 102, Principles of Macroeconomics.

Credit for Other Courses and Prior Knowledge of Economics

You may also earn credits for other courses by taking the College-Level Examination Program (CLEP) exam. CLEP allows students who have gained knowledge through independent study, advanced high school courses, noncredit adult courses, or professional development to take examinations for possible college credit. Students must earn a minimum score of 65 and take CLEP exams before completing 16 semester hours of college credit in order to receive credit. Successful results on the CLEP exam may qualify you for up to three (3) credits of general elective coursework in economics, but it will not exempt you from the introductory microeconomics or macroeconomics courses. Contact the Office of Admissions and Recruitment if you are interested in taking the CLEP exam.

Can I earn college credit for courses I took while in high school?

Economics coursework you completed while in high school at an accredited post-secondary institution may be considered for transfer credit. Submit information at the time of your admission to the University of Wisconsin-Madison Office of Admissions and Recruitment along with an official transcript from the institution granting credit. Depending on the school(s) you have attended, equivalencies for your courses may be listed in the online transfer equivalency database Transferology.

How will my college courses transfer?

Transfer credit can be awarded to any admitted student who has completed coursework at a college or university. Once you are admitted, the Office of the Registrar will begin working on an evaluation of your transfer credits and will email you when your evaluation is available to view in your Student Center. Click here to review detailed information about UW-Madison’s transfer credit policies.

Transfer Course Equivalencies

If you would like to view how some of your courses may transfer prior to admission, transfer equivalency databases and the following guidelines to help you.

Depending on the school(s) you have attended, equivalencies for your courses may be listed in the online transfer equivalency databases.

  • Transferology:  See how credits will transfer at UW System schools, Wisconsin Technical College, and Wisconsin Tribal College systems, as well as several two-year institutions from Minnesota and Illinois.

How do I request a reevaluation of my transfer credits?

Credit Reevaluation Request Process

The Credit Reevaluation Request Process can be utilized by admitted and current UW students who have already received their transfer credit evaluation from the Office of the Registrar. Please use the Course Reevaluation Request form if you are seeking to have a course reevaluated for an equivalency that is different from what you received on your Transfer Credit Evaluation (for example, you received economics electives for your introductory economics course, but you wish to receive direct credit for UW’s Econ 101). We strongly encourage you to have a conversation with your Academic Advisor before submitting the form to discuss how the reevaluation might impact your academic plan.

Please note that it can take up to 4 to 6 weeks to receive a decision on your request from the time the request was submitted and reevaluation decisions are final. If you would like multiple courses reevaluated you must fill out the form for each individual course.