Transfer Credit Resources for Current UW-Madison Students

This is an accordion element with a series of buttons that open and close related content panels.

What steps should I take if I want to take a course at a different college or university?

  1. If you plan to take the course during the fall, winterm, or spring semester, you are required to submit the concurrent enrollment request form. We also recommend consulting with an academic advisor if this applies to you. If you are taking a course during the summer term, you do not need to complete this step.
  2. Check to see how your course(s) will transfer:

Check Transferology for the school you plan to attend. If your school is listed, you will see how courses from this school transfer to UW–Madison. If you plan to enroll in a summer course that is not pre-equated on, you may request course equivalencies via the Course Equivalency Service (CES) between March 1 and May 15. You may refer to our Guidelines for Choosing Non-UW–Madison Courses when the Course Equivalency Service is closed. Be sure to confirm that any course you take will be given transfer credit before you enroll or pay for it.

Please be sure to note: The Department of Economics requires that a minimum of two Advanced Electives in Economics are completed at UW-Madison. This is separate from the general residency requirement of your degree plan. After using Transferology or the Summer Course Equivalency Service to establish whether a course is transferable, we recommend talking with an economics academic advisor to determine whether the transferable course work will satisfy particular degree or major requirements.

  1. Submitting Transcripts

After completing a course off campus, request that an official transcript be mailed or sent electronically to the Office of Admissions and Recruitment. Electronic transcripts must be sent through a secure document sending service to Transcripts sent through email, as an attachment, will not be accepted as official. Paper transcripts sent to the Office of Admissions and Recruitment must bear an official school seal or be printed on the school’s custom watermarked/security paper.

Once your final transcripts are received by the Office of Admissions, they will process the document, and send it to the Credit Evaluations Services office, who will evaluate and post the course to your UW-Madison record. Click here for more FAQ’s on how the transfer credit process works and for answers to commonly asked questions.

How do I request a reevaluation of my transfer credits?

Credit Reevaluation Request Process

The Credit Reevaluation Request Process can be utilized by admitted and current UW students who have already received their transfer credit evaluation from the Office of the Registrar. Please use the Course Reevaluation Request form if you are seeking to have a course reevaluated for an equivalency that is different from what you received on your Transfer Credit Evaluation (for example, you received economics electives for your introductory economics course, but you wish to receive direct credit for UW’s Econ 101). We strongly encourage you to have a conversation with your Academic Advisor before submitting the form to discuss how the reevaluation might impact your academic plan.

Please note that it can take up to 4 to 6 weeks to receive a decision on your request from the time the request was submitted and reevaluation decisions are final. If you would like multiple courses reevaluated you must fill out the form for each individual course.