Academic Advising

Academic Advising

Drop-in Advising

The Economics Undergraduate Academic Advising Office will be offering in-person advising again this coming Fall in the Undergraduate Suite (7238 Social Sciences). For the summer, please schedule in-person or virtual advising appointments through Starfish.

The vast majority of our scheduled appointments will be for declared majors — a benefit of declaring! — however, we will have limited availability for non-declared scheduled appointments as well. As usual, please sign up for academic advising appointments proactively with Madison Hartup or Alicia Johanning.

What is the difference between drop-in hours and scheduled appointments?

Drop-in hours: these are times held on all Academic Advisors’ calendars for students dropping in for their “quick questions”. Good quick questions are confirmations on schedules, ensuring a class counts for a certain type of credit, getting a form signed, or just “check-ins”. Ideally, most drop-in appointments should be about 15 minutes so we can serve as many students as possible who show up during our drop-in hour time period. Please note that during busy times our drop-in hours get very busy- some students wait over an hour- and so come as early as possible as we will occasionally shut down hours before official drop-in-hours-end as there are many students still waiting in line.

Scheduled appointments: these are for longer conversations as you have an entire half hour! If you are exploring Economics and want to learn more about the program, thinking about declaring but want to discuss 4-year plans, double majoring, studying abroad, talking research or honors, or anything else that isn’t a “quick chat!” is perfect for scheduled appointment times!

When in doubt of what academic advising option is best for you, schedule an appointment or just send us an email at and we’ll point you in the right direction of what you should do 😊

Scheduled Advising Appointments

Declared AND non-declared students may schedule appointments through Starfish with our academic advisors, Madison Hartup or Alicia Johanning. Students have the option to have either an in-person or virtual advising appointment. Please see the corresponding tabs in this section for more information.

  1. Log in to your MyUW
  2. Open the Starfish app (if you do not see it, you can begin by searching for it in MyUW and adding it to your dashboard)
  3. Within the Starfish app, select an economics advisor’s name and find an available date and time.

More help on using Starfish can be found here. If you have any questions or issues, you can email

Undergraduate Team (left to right): Madison Hartup, Alicia Johanning, Sam Dziuk, Carly Siewert

Meet the Undergraduate Team

Academic Advisors
Our academic advisors can help you create an academic plan, plan for study abroad, choose enjoyable and meaningful courses, make the most of your student experience, and assist you with any other academic or life issues.

Contact Information:
Alicia Johanning (she/her/hers)
7238 Social Sciences

Sam Dziuk (she/her/hers)
7238B Social Sciences

Madison Hartup (she/her/hers)
7238 Social Sciences

Undergraduate Program Coordinator
The undergraduate program coordinator can help you with course enrollment, class permissions, department scholarships, and general department questions.

Carly Siewert (she/her/hers)
7238 Social Sciences