Students can earn the Honors designation for the major in economics. To do so, all of the follow criteria must be met:
1. Take the honors versions of the intermediate economic theory courses: Economics 311, Intermediate Microeconomic Theory-Advanced Treatment and Economics 312, Intermediate Macroeconomic Theory-Advanced Treatment.
2. Select and fulfill the requirements of the Economics with Mathematical Emphasis option (listed above).
3. Attain a cumulative GPA of 3.5 out of 4.0 in all courses in the major and an overall GPA of at least 3.3 in all courses taken at UW-Madison at the time of graduation.
4. Complete Economics 580: Tutorial in Research Project Design. This is offered only in the spring semester.
5. Execute a capstone experience. Complete either (a) or (b):
Honors Thesis Options
(a). Write an Honors Thesis: Either Economics 581, Honors Thesis (one semester), or Economics 681 and Economics 682, Honors Thesis (two semesters). Note: Economics 580 must be taken prior to writing the Honors Thesis.
(b). Other capstone options must be approved by an economics academic advisor.
If you would like to talk to an academic advisor about pursuing honors in the major, you can learn more about how to talk to one of our academic advisors here!