*COVID-19 ADVISING UPDATE: In light of the current public health crisis, advisors will be meeting with students via virtual methods and will not be holding in-person meetings. We are still here to help you navigate your job/internship search! Please use Starfish to set up virtual appointments.
The Economics Department provides access to economics-specific career advisors for Undergraduate and Master’s students. Career advisors can help with resume and cover letter reviews, career exploration, job/internship search strategies and interview preparation or job offer negotiation. You do NOT need to have your career-planned out, that’s what we can help with. Bring questions and an open mind to discuss your interests and goals!
NOTE: Unfortunately, we aren’t very helpful with academic matters like enrollment, declaring the major, or getting special permissions for courses. Our Academic Advising colleagues are your go-to contacts for these type of questions. Undergraduates should schedule with our Undergraduate Academic Advisors and Master’s students with our Masters Program Coordinator for course or degree-related questions.
UNDERGRADS: Schedule a virtual Career Advising Appointment HERE
- What is virtual career advising? Virtual career advising are conversations that occur via phone or Microsoft Teams. When you make your appointment, you will select your preferred method. You can also email questions or resume/cover letters to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Are we booked? If our schedules are booked, undergraduate economics students can also make a virtual appointment with career advisors at SuccessWorks
Schedule an online Career Advising Appointment HERE
Master’s students should use the Starfish app in MyUW to schedule an appointment based on their last (family name).
- Students with the last (family) name A-M should schedule with Becca George
- Students with the last (family) name N-Z should schedule with Elizabeth Foste
More help on using Starfish can be found here.
Are we booked? If our schedules are booked, email your assigned career advisor (Elizabeth or Becca) with dates and times you are available. We will do our best to accommodate you as our schedules allow.
Having problems with Starfish or scheduling? Just have a quick question? Email your question or availability to email@example.com
Check your email!
During the fall and spring semesters, our office publishes a weekly email newsletter sent to all declared undergraduate Economics majors and Master’s students with internship and full-time job opportunities, as well as resources and events to assist with your career and/or professional development.
Econ Career Development Office Advisors
Career Advising Expectations & Policies
As our office is tasked with promoting professional behavior and meeting the needs of many students, our advising expectations and policies include, but are not limited to the following:
- If you are unable to make a career advising appointment, you must cancel at least 24 hours in advance of your scheduled appointment by emailing your scheduled advisor or cancelling through the appointment scheduling software
- If you miss or cancel with less than 24 hours notice for 2 career advising appointments, future advising appointments may be restricted until you complete certain actions assigned by a professional career advisor
- Conducting yourself in a manner consistent with UW-Madison’s code of student conduct (UWS 17.09)
We believe these policies will promote greater accessibility to our services, as well as an inclusive and respectful space. We look forward to working with you!