Students can earn the Honors designation for the major in economics. To do so, all of the follow criteria must be met:
1. Take the honors versions of the intermediate economic theory courses: Economics 311, Intermediate Microeconomic Theory-Advanced Treatment and Economics 312, Intermediate Macroeconomic Theory-Advanced Treatment.
2. Select and fulfill the requirements of the Economics with Mathematical Emphasis option.
3. Attain a cumulative GPA of 3.5 out of 4.0 in all courses in the major and an overall GPA of at least 3.3 in all courses taken at UW-Madison at the time of graduation.
4. Complete Economics 580: Tutorial in Research Project Design. This is offered only in the spring semester.
5. Execute a capstone experience. Complete either (a) or (b):
(a). Write an Honors Thesis: Either Economics 581, Honors Thesis (one semester), or Economics 681 and Economics 682, Honors Thesis (two semesters). Note: Economics 580 must be taken prior to writing the Honors Thesis.
(b). Other capstone options must be approved by an economics academic advisor.