Job Announcements

The UW Student Job Center lists part-time, limited term employment (LTE) and summer job openings located at UW-Madison and off-campus in the private and public sectors.
Pay attention to the GradConnections emails, they always have funding announcements for grad students. If you do not get those emails (I assume they are sent automatically for graduate students) you can subscribe and see the newsletter at
GradLink@Madison is a monthly email newsletter intended to inform graduate students of opportunities too.

TA Jobs

Every time you apply for an external TA job attach your TA portfolio as a supplemental application material. It may help your case to show your TA history in a professional and organized format.
The Business Learning Center hires grad students as TAs for various courses. If you wish to apply send a CV to Professor Eudey ( the director of the center.
Occasionally graduate students in economics are employed as TAs in the Math department or Physics department. Position details are listed at the The UW Student Job Center.

PA or RA Jobs

Graduate Students in economics have found external PA or RA jobs in other departments or certain UW centers in the past. If you are interested in a research area that is similar to any of those departments, centers or an affiliates' work, It does not hurt to contact them directly to let them know of your interest in a PA or RA position and what skills you could offer to their research project(s). Send a CV for their reference. They may not be looking for someone now but they may keep your CV and call you later in case something comes up.


The Center for Financial Security (CFS) is an interdisciplinary center housed in the School of Human Ecology. The CFS conducts research and programming to help consumers understand the factors impacting financial decisions. The Center is a member of the Social Security Administration’s Financial Literacy Research Consortium (FLRC) and conducts and disseminates applied research on financial literacy and consumer behavior with a focus on savings, borrowing and spending of special populations. Special interests of the research include financial issues for families in transition and people with disabilities and their caregivers, financial decision-making by the elderly, financial knowledge among vulnerable population,; and the role of education, counseling and coaching in overcoming financial literacy deficits. Contact Nicole Truog Associate Director, Center for Financial Security if you are interested.


The Wisconsin Center for Education Research (WCER) has been another source of employment for Graduate students in Economics. If you are interested in a PA or RA position with an WCER researcher, go to their website to find out which faculty are affiliated with WCER. Review the affiliates' areas of research and contact them directly.
To see if there are PA opportunities available look at their employment page at


Center on Wisconsin Strategy (COWS): COWS is a national policy center and field laboratory for high-road economic development -- a competitive market economy of shared prosperity, environmental sustainability, and capable democratic government. COWS hires graduate project assistants for a variety of positions involving research and project management. To learn more, go to To learn about current employment opportunities go to or contact: Professor Joel Rogers (, or Laura Dresser (


Institute for Research on Poverty (IRP): Graduate student positions at IRP are filled by the faculty researchers. Faculty researchers serve as the project directors for each of the projects at IRP. If you are interested in a PA or RA position with an IRP researcher, go to the IRP website to find out which faculty are affiliated with IRP. Review the affiliates' areas of research and contact them directly. The IRP webpage is


The Department of Educational Policy Studies If you are interested in a PA or RA position with an DEPS researcher, go to their website to find out which faculty are affiliated . Review the affiliates' areas of research and contact them directly.


The Department of Consumer Science. Their graduate programs are interdisciplinary, and current faculty have degrees in diverse fields including economics, management, public policy, retailing, sociology, social work, and consumer science. To learn about current employment opportunities go to

Training or Fellowship Programs

The Wisconsin Center for Education Research (WCER) hosts an Interdisciplinary Training Program (ITP) for Predoctoral Research in the Education Sciences. The purpose of the program is to encourage social science doctoral students to study practical problems in education with rigorous quantitative methods that allow causal inference. Particular emphasis is given to randomized controlled trials. Support is available for entry-level (first or second-year) students and advanced (dissertator) students. Students from economics, political science, psychology, sociology, and social work are eligible for the program. Due to requirements of the U.S. Department of Education, only U.S. citizens or permanent residents are eligible for funding, although all students are very welcome to take courses in the program and take part in any way. For more details, see

Questions may be directed to Molly Wesling, ITP Coordinator, at or (608) 265-9483.

The IRP Graduate Research Fellows (GRF) Program is conducted for Graduate students in the social sciences (e.g., Economics, Social Work, Sociology, Political Science and any related disciplines) who have an interest in poverty research and expect to complete a related dissertation. To apply to IRP’s Graduate Research Fellows Program, send your curriculum vitae and a brief description of your graduate student status (including year in your Ph.D. program, faculty advisor(s), and department) and your research plans for your remaining time at UW and/or dissertation topic to Robin Snell at IRP (

The Center for Demography of Health and Aging (CDHA) is one of fourteen P30 demography centers on aging sponsored by the National Institute on Aging. Major research themes include: midlife development and aging, economics of population aging, inequalities in health and aging, and international comparative studies of health and aging. CDHA offers graduate students in sociology, economics, or complementary social science disciplines an opportunity to develop new research skills in the demography of health and aging. Mechanisms of support include predoctoral traineeships from the National Institute of Aging and project or research assistantships. (NIA traineeships are open only to US citizens or permanent residents, while other forms of support are available to any qualified student.) Students who are supported by CDHA are expected to complete doctoral minors in aging and to participate in the weekly CDHA research seminar (Sociology 995). For more information on CDHA's and CDE's funding opportunities for predoctoral students, contact Professor Robert M. Hauser, Director, CDHA.

NIMH Traineeships
Economics Department and Population Health Sciences faculty oversee a National Institute of Mental Health Training Program in the economics of mental health and health. Students generally join the training program in the second year of the program. Trainees participate in a year round research seminar and work with faculty on research projects in health economics. Students in the training program receive a stipend, tuition remission, and benefits: NIH Research Traineeship Program in Health and Mental Health Economics (in Population Health Sciences). For additional information, please contact Jane Lambert at 608-265-4592 or

The Center for Demography and Ecology (CDE) is a multi-disciplinary faculty research cooperative for social scientific demographic research whose membership includes sociologists, rural sociologists, economists, epidemiologists, and statisticians. CDE is one of the leading centers of social science research in the world, as indicated by the scholarly productivity of its faculty, the level of extramural funding secured by researchers, the production and distribution of high quality demographic data, and the quality of its graduate training program. For information regarding their Traineeships program contact Professor James R. Walker, Director, CDE (

Campus-Wide Student Scholarships and Honors

Vilas Travel Grant
Excellence in Civic Engagement Student Award
Global Studies Scott Kloeck-Jenson Fellowships
Graduate Student Mentor Award
Scholarships for Non-Traditional Students
Teaching Assistant (TA) Awards

Other Funding Sources


  • My UW and Registrar Office
  • Bursar's Office
  • Graduate School
  • Graduate Program
  • Incoming Students
  • International Students
  • Teaching Assistants
  • Personal Web Page Resources
  • Students on the Job Market
  • Graduating Students
  • Departmental Forms